More is less. Less is more

I was going to name this post "bigger, bigger, more, more" but realized it may be read for the wrong reasons.

Everyone always wants more. Or bigger. People can't be happy with the choices they're given.


When I was selling hula hoops at markets/ festivals, people seems unimpressed with the fact that I was just hula hooping. Even if I was doing amazing tricks. The question would always be "how many hula hoops can you hoop with? Can you hoop with 3?" I'd pick up 3 hoops and hula hoop easily with them and try explain that as long as they're the same size, hooping with one or 3 is pretty much the same. Still not super impressed, they'd go on about a lady they once saw that hooped with 20 hoops. I eventually decided my best reply was "wow, that's awesome". Why would I want to get into a debate about something trivial. Funny enough, when asking if I can hula hoop with the huge hoop, I'd be explaining that the bigger ones are easier to hoop with (everyone usually picks up the tiniest one thinking that would be the easiest to use).

I recently did a market where I had my dreamcatchers on display. I like to make most of my dreamcatchers between 10 and 30cm (diametre). They look neat and I can keep costs reasonable.  Once again I had more than 1 person ask "I saw a huge dreamcatcher once. Can you make them bigger?". Once again (sigh within), "I make any size really. I find the bigger you go, the more they start to lose their shape. It's more difficult to make the really tiny ones (which I make as pendants)". Usually responded with "I want a really big one for my wall. Can you make that?" After a conversation explaining I can, and give them an approximate cost (which needs to be paid upfront because I'm not keen on sitting with a 1 metre dreamcatcher in my stock room), they reply with, "cool I'll contact you" (most often not even taking your details). You realize that they do want the dreamcatcher, but they want to pay exactly the same price as the ones that are a fraction of the size.

So this turned out to be just a bit of a ramble, seeming to have no point.  My point here is that quality usually wins over quantity. Go for what suits you, suits your pocket and makes you happy. Of course, if the bigger dreamcatcher is what you want, and you're willing to pay, then that would be the best choice for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfectionist Inside

The raw reality of Mental Illness

The bigger the better…?