Actions speak louder than words

You hear the saying your whole life, and you know exactly what it means, but you don't always fully appreciate the accuracy until you realize that you keep getting told something, but it never happens.

If you make a promise, stick to it.  If you tell somebody you're going to do something - Do it!

That's it.  Don't make excuses. If you haven't met your end of the "deal", then don't say it in the first place.  If you can not carry through with every little promise you make, the best thing to do is be honest and rather say "I don't want to do it", or even if you do want to but not sure if you'll be able to... "I'd love to be able to promise that I can do it, but I just don't think I can".

I've had promises made on my behalf... Yes, seriously.  I've had phone calls and been told "I was told you'd be able to help me this week with xyz".  I usually stand there with my mouth hanging open wondering where my Wonder Woman costume is... trying to explain that they should not have been told such a thing and that they should never believe something that doesn't come from the actual source... But of course, because the person had such high expectations, explaining that I will try to fulfill their expectations, but it may take a little more time.

When I make a promise I always take my dad's advice: Always under-promise, but over deliver.  Certainly words to live by.  That way, the person has their realistic expectation, but you exceed them, and in the end, they're happier.

Unfortunately too many people try to grab you by over-promising, then under-delivering.  Not a happy person on the receiving end... believe me, I've been there too many times

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfectionist Inside

The raw reality of Mental Illness

The bigger the better…?