Sew What

Last year I was lucky enough to become the proud owner of my late gran's sewing machine (I was using my mother's machine - she had to call me to use it!!)

I have a rather nifty setup. Nothing spectacular, but a nice little spot to work.  It's the sewing corner so I don't have to pack anything away.  Just cover up until next time.



Notice a cat bowl?  The cat's eating spot is right to me... It has to be raised so the dogs don't eat their food. Not that it stopped them... My dad built me a little "stable door" on the room to prevent the dogs getting in and leaving the cats in peace (he also installed the desk top!!)... The cats often inspect my work. It's commonly actually known as the cat room rather than work room.

I'm far from a professional, even though I've been sewing since my teens, I'm very much an amateur. I sew for myself and kids, and I make fabric poi and the odd thing here and there.  I made a cute cosplay outfit for my daughter last year (she has more ideas, but I'm going to teach her how to sew!!. But when it came to her Matric Farewell dress, I entrusted that in the hands of a professional.

I’m so glad my mother encouraged to me to learn how to sew.  I’m also glad that I had Mrs Austen, my Home Economics teacher who taught me so much – things that I still remember to this day.



There are some things that I never seem to learn ... Or get used to...
  • Do not try catch pinned items with your legs. When it drops, let it fall, bend over and pick it up. I have yet to master this skill.
  • No matter how many times I prick my fingers with a pin, I nearly have heart failure... It sends a shock running through my body. I’m not sure if its the actual split second pain, or because my mind knows there’s a sharp end.
  • "They say" there’s not enough space beneath the needle for your finger to get caught by the needle. I’d like to disagree. I have actually had thread running through my finger tip.

  • Over-locking wrong pieces together!! No way you’re getting that unpicked. You can only hope you’ve made enough provision for a larger seam. Still not sure how I've managed to do this.  You would think I've made sure it was correct...

  • Matching striped/ checks/ plaid patterns. Over that.  You know there’s a seam... I have better things to do than to line up stripes.
  • Sewing an entire seam with no bobbin thread.  May seem insignificant, but when that seem was a metre long and you're unpinning as you're "sewing", then it's anything but insignificant.
  • The sound of a broken machine needle. You can never get used to that sound - it makes you want to make you cry. Broken thread too. “I’ve just re-threaded the machine”. Even worse when it’s the overlocker!! 
I'm sure there's many points I could add.  And I'm sure there are many other "sewists" (amateur and professional) who could add to this list.

Well, we live and we learn... and sometimes we don't. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfectionist Inside

The raw reality of Mental Illness

The bigger the better…?