Ringing the blues


Receptionists must be (unknown to me) the biggest liars around... I have been a receptionist for the past 4 years for the same company. People never believe me.  Recently our phone lines were out.  People were walking in and telling me they've been phoning all morning "yes unfortunately our phone lines are out.  Went out with the big storm yesterday" the words fall on deaf ears.  No, it rings and rings and then just cuts off.
"Yes, because the lines are out of order" (deep breath, big smile)
Consultant J walks out to greet them as asks if they've been waiting long. "No, but I've been trying to phone all morning, and there's been no answer"

"Oh" says consultant J "our phones lines are out of order.  Hit by lightning in the storm of yesterday"
"Oh dear, that's why" says customer.
Inside I'm yelling "I TOLD YOU THAT!!!" but keep a smile and carry on working...

Another one I often encounter... When somebody happens to be out of the office/ on leave/ whatever other reason... I will offer to put them through to somebody else who can help .
Very often I hear that person take the call then say "yes he/ she is not in the office/ on leave. Can I perhaps help you"
Really... Did they think I was lying.  I'm not entirely sure how I would get a kick out of doing that...

To fellow receptionists / switchboard operators, I'm not sure what you are all telling your customers, and how much fun you're having at their expense (just kidding)...

We are not the little green gremlins that people often refer to when  using technology, but very real people, trying to earn a living - just like everyone else. Please take a moment and remember that when phoning a company... The receptionist has been answering calls day and when you hear that cheery voice the other side, before you try ruin her / his day think about how many other people may have broken that person's spirit - just that day alone.  I have thick skin, and I can take the verbal abuse I often encounter - just because I happen to be the person who answered your call.  As much as people try keep their personal problems at home, you don't know what they are dealing with in their life - death, illness, divorce, eviction... They are people with very real feelings. Forget your gripe you may have with the person you need to deal with, and be polite with the person who happens to answer your call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfectionist Inside

The raw reality of Mental Illness

The bigger the better…?