The gem squash incident

I was recently cutting a gem squash - something I usually take a little care with after many years ago working with a woman who cut her thumb off cutting a gem squash!!

I usually get a good grip, stick the tip of the knife in slowly cut around.

I was about to mention this woman' freak accident to a friend who was in the kitchen with me, when my knife slipped and slipped back up again and instead stuck the sharp piece of the knife into the palm of my left hand.  Not pleasant, but no major injury - just one of those kitchen injuries that stings for the next few days.

Inspecting the site of the "scratch" (that's all it looked like - a deep scratch), I  noticed another scar which I gained a few years back.  I was cutting an avocado and trying to get the pip out.  I must've been daydreaming for a moment - I mean who tries to remove the pip while holding the avo in the other hand - with a sharp knife!? The knife slipped on the slippery avo pip, went through the avo and into my hand.  I actually heard the sound of the knife going through my skin!  I stopped dead and looked at my cousin who was staying with me at the time with a look of sheer horror.  The look obviously said it all.  His words to me were "did you just stab yourself?" very calmly and matter-of-factly.  I think the family just know this is the kind of thing we all do.  I did end up visiting my doctor the following day as I was struggling to move my fingers - probably just hit a nerve or something and a few days later my hand was working properly again.

Apparently I never learn.  Another avocado incident led to me bleeding profusely moments before my 40th Birthday party last year.  My baby finger this time was the victim.  I think I may have been too busy talking to those around me and sliced right through my finger. It bled so much I was beginning to think I was going to have to visit the emergency room for stitches - just as my guests were arriving... A friend arrived and asked to have a look.  The look she gave me when all the layers of tissue (most likely toilet paper) were unwound.  The bleeding had stopped and the cut had almost closed itself.  I wasn't about to question it - stuck on a small plaster and continued with my party.

As much as we learn about new kitchen tricks and hacks, I guess we all still have silly moments.  I'm sure there will be many more to come, and hopefully I can look back and laugh at those too.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfectionist Inside

The raw reality of Mental Illness

The bigger the better…?