Where have you been?

A question a few fellow festival/ market traders have asked recently. Where have you been? We haven't seen you in a while...

I took a break from doing markets. It's been over a year now. I needed a break.

The break was longer than anticipated however.

It seems a little petty now, but I let people's judgement and nasty words get to me.


I was "accused" of stealing another trader's ideas. As much as I said what I needed (and kept it amicable), I wanted to fight that I have been making jewellery for the past 20 years on and off. In this day with so many ideas out there... Internet, Pinterest... Nobody can really have a totally new concept/ idea. I have photo evidence of the same type of item that I'd made 15 years ago (when she was still in school!). I remember first coming across her first market stall when she'd just started out 3 years before. But I left it, and continued making my jewellery.

About a week or 2 after that comment, another person passed a comment which hit me in a way I didn't know how to respond. I was still upset about the previous comment, when Mr Nasty commented "beading is not exactly rocket science. I was making the same things for extra cash when I was 6 years old". I has no response. However, I have not spoken to him since. (I know he was trying to be nasty on purpose - it's just the person he is).

I have since let it go. I know that I have my own ideas, and that we all borrow ideas from each other. I have rather decided to belong to groups where everyone is happy to share, rather than claim each item as their own entirely original idea.

I have also stayed away from negative people. People who's sole intention is to destroy everybody else's hopes and dreams because theirs don't work out.

I have made some very different items and find myself evolving in a very different direction. Not because I didn't think I was good enough, but because I know that I AM good enough.

My life direction has taken a slight turn. My jewellery is fitting in with my life. Just 2 sessions with a life coach was all I needed to see that I need to think outside the box and offer my target market what they want at a price they can afford. Stop trying to conform to "normal" but to make what makes me happy.

I will start doing markets again soon (I hope). I will trust and believe in myself and keep on going. Keep on growing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfectionist Inside

The raw reality of Mental Illness

The bigger the better…?