hula-la

A few minutes of spinning the hoop around my waist here and there, really wasn't considered hooping. Not in my eyes.  But it was!  Just because I couldn't keep it up for a long time, didn't mean I couldn't hoop.
I just needed a bit of practice.  And practice makes perfect!  I started spending more time hooping, and soon I was hooping for a while around my waist.  I then managed to start moving the hoop down to my hips and moving around with the hoop and within the hoop.


It wasn't that long and we decided (as we'd made all our current hoops), to start making more hoops. Its the best thing we could've done. They've been so popular and its the nicest feeling to see people enjoy hooping!
Providing entertainment to other stall holder's kids at a market

Of course, being fire freaks (hahaha) we couldn't leave it at just normal hoops... we HAD to make a fire hoop. And we did, and I was the first to give it a whirl. 
My first burn with the hoop we did in our front garden, and soon we had an entire audience at our gate -the church down the road had finished their service, and people were walking towards the train station and as they passed, they were amazed at what we were doing.
I'd found my "thing"!!!
My thing, because I have a whole load of fire toys, but just can't seem to find the one I feel really comfortable with - or good at!
I started with poi, and I love playing with the non-fire poi and flags. I don't always feel so comfortable with the fire poi.
I have my fans, which I love, but my moves are very limited - but they're just so cool.

Me and my Fire Fans
I'm comfortable with the staff, but I just don't practice enough so I'm not that good at it.
But I play and do what I can, and join in shows where possible, but usually leave the shows to the other dancers.  But now I have something to "give" to add something extra to our shows.
But it's not just about the fire. Its the love of the hoops and the feeling I get from hooping and the look on people's faces when they get the hoop to go round, and keep it going.
My weight is very slowing starting to come down and I still have far to go, but my attitude towards life has changed.  I feel more energetic and much happier.

Playing with my favourite "double tail" poi at a market

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfectionist Inside

The raw reality of Mental Illness

The bigger the better…?