A new blog for me. I've had blogs before, but my previous blogs were all papercraft related... now its time for something new. 

I love arts crafts and papercraft in particular, but my other passion is soooo different it required a separate blog altogether.

I am a firedancer. The whole family plays with fire...


My newest passion, and I'm smitten... Hula Hoops!!!
I've been playing around with hoops for a while, but started taking a keen interest recently. I think what really struck me was watching Grace Jones hoop her way through an entire song at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Concert. At the ripe age of 64, she'll put many people a third her age through their paces - and look at her body!!

I couldn't keep a hoop up very long at all, and when it started falling, it was gone - no hope to bump it back up... but that was then.

Around 6 weeks ago (after a friend had commented that not only was I looking rather overweight, but had a tummy that looked like I was pregnant!!) I decided I had to do more than just watch my diet... That wasn't working. I was eating well, and not losing a thing. I was becoming so miserable about my weight - I'd picked up so much in a year and at the age of 37 - battling to lose it.

I picked up a hoop and started hooping. At first I started  with just hooping, just until I felt comfortable with the hoop turning around me. Then I started exploring with some moves. I had nobody to guide me so I was doing it all by myself.
Soon I was whirling and turning, changing the hoops direction, and just having fun.  I started searching for fitness videos on youtube, and really came up against a brick wall. Not much there. But I continued to find a few things of interest on the internet. I found a great book/ dvd by Christabel Zamor on hooping. And with that book and dvd I learnt a few new "tricks".  Not only was I getting a good workout, I was having so much fun!
I decided to keep track of my measurements. I am so glad I decided to do this as my weight hasn't shown any change. But my measurements have!! I have lost in 5 weeks of tracking my measurements 8 cm around my waist, 3 cm on my hips and 3 cm per thigh!! I've also lost 1 cm on my arms and calves.
Although I still have a long way to go, I've received so many positive remarks about the way I look, the energy I'm exhuding and in general a much happier me.  And I can feel I have so much more energy and I really do feel happier. It felt great to put on a pair of pants I haven't worn in months and they fit! And this is just the beginning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfectionist Inside

The raw reality of Mental Illness

The bigger the better…?