The perfect body?

People often feel that they have the right to tell others (especially friends and family) that their weight is not ideal.  Too skinny. Too fat. Your arms are flabby. You look pregnant. You look starving. Should you be eating that? Have you tried eating celery instead?

I had a family member who felt it was their duty to advise me that I'm overweight.  I'm not sure why people don't think you can see yourself.  I look at myself every day.  I know the size clothes I buy.  One day I had enough and my reply back: Do you like being called skinny? No? Then why do you think it's ok to tell me I'm fat. Do you not think I can't see what I look like? I'm happy with myself however I look. If you aren't happy with how you look, it's not my problem. Or its a case of you think I'm unhappy because you couldn't handle being overweight, not my problem. We all have our own bodies and if you're happy with yours, why can't I be happy with mine. She's never said another word about my weight to me again (and it's been about 4 years).


I'm eating that pasta because I know I'll enjoy it.  And I eat salad because I enjoy it.  I'm not going to make a tasteless meal that I don't enjoy because I may lose a little bit of weight (or eat something later again because it just didn't fill me).  It's no secret I love my food, and I'm going to make sure I enjoy it.

I have another friend who is skin and bones. She cannot put on weight. She struggled to carry a baby to full term because of it (she finally had a baby at 41 after miscarriage, and ended up in bed for a month after his birth). I watched as she struggled to gain weight.  She could barely fit much into her body.  She liked a glass of wine at the end of the day, but the problem was, after that glass of wine she felt too full to eat.

My sister is small. She works hard to maintain her size. We used to work together, and one day a customer commented to me "Doesn't your sister make you sick?" Me: Excuse me? Her: "Look at her, she's so tiny. Doesn't it make you sick?" Me: No not really. She works really hard to look that way. She goes to gym at least 4 times a week and watches what she eats (but let me tell you she can sometimes eat more than me!). Her reaction was priceless.  She expected me to agree, yet I didn't.  I could also look much thinner if I cut down a lot on my food and exercised more... (just not that thin - I've never been thin, even at my thinnest I was still "plus size".

We're all built differently. Some of us are naturally hefty. Some are skinny.  Some choose to be overweight by eating good food and not being active.  Some have genuine health issues that affect their weight and ability to be active. Some people are big and fit. Some are small and unfit. We're all individuals with our own body type. If you want to be thinner and you're genuinely unhappy with your body - only you can do something about it.

Love YOUR body!!! You're the one living in it!!
Just because I love Hilda I added a picture for good measure.  Hilda is comfortable in her body. She's by far my favourite pin-up!!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfectionist Inside

The raw reality of Mental Illness

The bigger the better…?